Height 15.8, Width at mouth 10 cm, Width across handles 14.5 cm
This wooden drinking vessel is from the collection of the Ulster Museum, and was found in Tullyniskan Parish, County Tyrone. The Irish name for Tullyniskan may be Tulaigh Naoscan. There is some confusion over the English translation, but 'hill of the water-dog' and 'hill of the strong current', have both been suggested.
References in the Literature
This drinking vessel appears to have been cherished by its owner, as evidenced by the repair visible above one of the handles. A split in the wood on the upper rim has been bound with a piece of cord passed through small holes drilled along the break edge. No published record for this object has been found to date. If you can tell us more about the discovery of this object, or know of a publication in which the object is referenced, please get in touch by clicking the button at the bottom of the page.
The scanning electron microscope image shown on the left was produced from a small sample of wood collected from mether 34.1953. The cross section shown in this image, in collaboration with micro features identified in additional images suggests that the mether is made from birch wood. The remainder of the wood sample will be submitted for radio carbon dating in summer 2018.